[X-Newbies] <no subject>

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Sat May 21 07:32:01 PDT 2005

Sue Rodriguez <Sue.Rodriguez at usm.edu> wrote:

[snip encoding garbage]

> This probably will not be posted because I have just unsubscribed to this
> list.  Those who continue their "discussion" of top PosTing have converted a
> list that was intended to give people new to OS X information on problems.
> I don't believe that it was intended to be be a chat list for four or five
> people.  I regret leaving because I have gained valuable information in the
> past that I will now have to seek elsewhere.  Please enjoy your chats.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Sue

[snip huge amount of HTML garbage]

That's right - this list is about helping newbies. But people who top
post, send email with blank subject lines, don't trim quoting as
appropriate, and worse - HTML posters, do not want the advice given to
them (or so it often seems).

Apparently it's better to be bloody minded and end communication, than
try to part of online society in a manner that respects others: i.e. not
wasting others time with out of order replies, and not wasting bandwidth
with HTML used unnecessarily - thus making messages ten times larger, or
even more.

*tremendous sigh*

Anyway, here's some more advice that will probably be ignored:

If you're using a half decent email client you should have a killfile
(also known as filtering). So if a thread (a message and it's replies)
annoys, disinterests, or bores you - simply kill it.
If a particular writer annoys you - add his email address to your
killfile, and never be bothered again.
Or simply mark uninteresting or annoying threads as read, and move on.

Unsubscribing from a list because you flouted common netiquette to make
some kind of half baked point, is... well, pretty pointless IMHO.

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet
--
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe
is that it has never tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes (Bill