[X-Newbies] Newbie Lessons

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sat May 21 09:55:58 PDT 2005

On May 21, 2005, at 8:41 PM, Sue Rodriguez wrote:

> This probably will not be posted because I have just unsubscribed
> to this list.  Those who continue their “discussion” of top PosTing
> have converted a list that was intended to give people new to OS X
> information on problems.  I don’t believe that it was intended to
> be be a chat list for four or five people.  I regret leaving
> because I have gained valuable information in the past that I will
> now have to seek elsewhere.  Please enjoy your chats.

The "newbie" lesson to learn from the top-posting discussion is that
the "right" way to do something may not be as obvious as it seems
when sitting at your PC running Outlook. The newbie doesn't know
about the readability of the archives, or what the digest might look
like. The key for them is "the line I want to see is right there".
Its a completely understandable reaction based on their experience.
The lesson is not that "newbies are dumb", but rather if you're a
newbie, open your mind up to many *very* different contexts of the
people you're dealing with before coming to a firm conclusion about
the way things should be.

General idea of trying grasp the larger context applies to many
situations - such as when the topic of a list wanders into something
you're not interested in. The newbie will tend to think that the list
has become pointless after a day, or perhaps even a few hours of
uninteresting posts. Even the experienced may become bored or
frustrated - the trick lies in what to do about it.  If you're prone
to running out of dinner parties when the conversation gets dull,
then dropping the list is for you. If you like to shout back at the
guests "you people are so BORING", you might want to drop a similar
email bomb on your way out. If, however, you have the patience to sit
quietly and nod, and once others have discussed *their* interest,
raise a topic of interest to you - then perhaps you might consider
doing the same thing on a list.

The newbie will often imagine that they are the first to invent a
particular clever psychological tactic, like the  "martyred list
drop" message, which will whip the list back into shape - forgetting
that some people have been on mailing lists 10-15 years and have seen
it all before. Sue's post can teach a valuable newbie lesson in how
to conduct yourself on the list. When you're thinking about posting a
petulant or guilt-inducing message to scold others into doing what
you want, you might consider that the more experienced may have seen
it before, and may not find it clever. When the martyr wails, "you
*made me* leave the list I have loved so much", the more experienced
might be thinking, "If you love it so much, then why didn't you just
hit the delete key?"

SR