[X-Newbies] Re: Wait! I have a new question!

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Sun May 22 00:11:25 PDT 2005

Charles Martin <chasm at mac.com> wrote:

> > From: Carter Tomassi <carter at messyoptics.com>
> >
> > Without using third-party solutions, how can I save an index of each
> > disk on my main HD? For the time being I have screenshots of each
> > disk's finder window. But that isn't searchable, of course.
>
> I'm not clear on what you want. Why have a "list" you have to search
> when you already have a Search, aka Cmd-F?
>
> Are you running Tiger? Tiger has incredibly powerful search
> capabilities right in it.

Panther's isn't too shabby, either. Maybe not quite as fast, but very
capable am I suffering from big cat envy - you bet! ;-) ).

Anyway, I second using DiskTracker - it's a great piece of shareware.
Using ls in Terminal will also garner the info you need. man ls will
help you use ls to get the info you need, ordered how you want.

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet