[X-Newbies] <Adios!t>

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Sun May 22 00:11:25 PDT 2005

Steven Rogers <srogers1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2005, at 12:02 PM, Jane wrote:
>
> > On May 21, 2005, at 10:26 AM, Al Poulin wrote:
> >
> >> Sue could have taken a different choice:  to not open every thread
> >> item.
> >
> > Perhaps what is needed to end this thread is a definitive rule for
> > posting top or bottom on this particular list, since it would seem
> > that it is a preference and not a preordained rule.
>
> That's pretty impractical (who's going to moderate to make sure it
> happens, do newbies have to post the "right" way to get help, etc.) -
> but all practical issues aside, it really does not end the thread.
> The ability to force the postings on one list to be one way or the
> other doesn't make that way the "right" way. The thread will end when
> both sides have covered the basic points, which I think is just about
> done.
>
> SR

True. When you get down to it, the harder a post is to read, the less
likely the poster is to receive a helpful reply (or even get his post
read in the first place).

I humbly suggest:

A) Ignoring or killing (filtering out) posts/threads that are annoying,
of no interest or simply boring in some way.

B) If you do want to reply, use liberal "[snip unwanted content]", to
make the reply more palatable than the original (i.e. don't perpetuate
unwanted, or unneeded content), and maybe put your feelings into your
sig (see mine below for an example of an anti-top-posting sig).

C) If you're the one who breached netiquette - just bite your tongue and
be glad anyone bothered to reply at all. Or ignore and/or kill replies
you find annoying. Or reply and have your say, if you really want to. If
_we_ don't like your reply _we'll_ ignore/mark it read/kill it. It's no
big deal, and not worth getting bent out of shape over.

HTH,
 Jamie Kahn Genet