[X-Newbies] Top posing in mail?

Adam Bass abasscube at mac.com
Mon May 23 19:13:35 PDT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 9:47 AM, Michael Winter wrote:

> And some of us do both, depending on the situation. As was pointed
> out earlier, most "business" type replies are going to be a single
> reply to a request, not a long thread. In that case it can be
> assumed that the recipient of the reply will already know what the
> reply is about. On a discussion list, things are different. In many
> cases, like this, I'm replying to a single point or sentence, not
> with respect to your entire message. So context is needed.
> Otherwise on a long, multiforked thread readers may not know what
> you're replying to.
>
> My only complaint with _some_ top posters, is they seem to think
> that means they don't need to trim the reply.  Not that bottom
> posters haven't been known to quote an entire message and simply
> append a "Me too!" at the end.
>
> -Mike

Yes, I too change my quoting style depending on the situation.
Usually, if I'm replying to a small portion of an email, like if it's
an answer to a specific question, I quote at the beginning, and then
reply. If I'm just replying to the general email, I'll leave it at
the end. Anyone who top posts should NEVER leave the entire email at
the top, unless it's a very short email.

Adam