[X-Newbies] Top posing in mail?

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu May 19 06:47:37 PDT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Tony Johansen wrote:

> There are valid arguments both ways.

And some of us do both, depending on the situation. As was pointed out
earlier, most "business" type replies are going to be a single reply to
a request, not a long thread. In that case it can be assumed that the
recipient of the reply will already know what the reply is about. On a
discussion list, things are different. In many cases, like this, I'm
replying to a single point or sentence, not with respect to your entire
message. So context is needed. Otherwise on a long, multiforked thread
readers may not know what you're replying to.

My only complaint with _some_ top posters, is they seem to think that
means they don't need to trim the reply.  Not that bottom posters
haven't been known to quote an entire message and simply append a "Me
too!" at the end.

-Mike