[X-Newbies] Slow connection and 10.4.1

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon May 30 00:44:31 PDT 2005

Richard Bienvenu said:

>I just installed Tiger; it's grrrrrrrrreat. But, the upgrade, if that's
>the word, OS 10.4.1 is, as I recall, 19mb. It'd probably take hours to
>download it on my slow connection, even if it were to stay open. Can
>anyone suggest a solution?
>Does Apple sell CDs of this upgrade? I can't find a thing on the Apple
>site that suggests that they do.

As far as I know, Apple does not offer intermediate (i.e. free) updates
on CD-ROM.

If you are using a dial-up connection, and you occasionally need to
download a huge file, the best way to do it is with an FTP (File Transfer
Protocol) program (not a Web browser) and to let it run overnight if
necessary.  An FTP program will be a little more efficient about the
download, and if the download is interrupted you won't have to start over
again from the beginning of the download, you can resume the download
from where it was cut off.

You may want to use one of these free FTP applications:

RBrowser Lite (free)
http://www.rbrowser.com/RBrowserLite/RBrowserLite.html

or

CyberDuck (free and open source)
http://cyberduck.ch/

You can download the combined updater to 10.2.8 directly from:

<http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3rdpty1.pl/product=06142&platform
=osx&method=sa/MacOSXUpdate10.4.1.dmg>

or

http://tinyurl.com/axkfr

Just throw one of these addresses into the Login Panel in your FTP
program (minus the < and > at the ends), hit return, and it will do the
rest.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html