[X-Newbies] Re: Macintosh Poll - OT: privacy policies

Rodney A.Hoiseth rothcorp at jcom.home.ne.jp
Wed Nov 2 19:13:07 PST 2005

Hi there, fellow newbies,

Since I'm in "legal mode" these days (currently in the middle of "The
Legal Environment of e-Business" in my MBA course) I can't resist a
critical comment: I searched the Tropical Software site for a Privacy
Statement but couldn't find one--even on the order page. Nor could I
find one on the site of the CHNM Poll Builder (
http://chnm.gmu.edu/tools/polls/ ) that created the poll.

I'm sure Tropical Software and CHNM are both excellent and reputable
organizations, and privacy is not even an issue, but publishing a
privacy policy is de rigueur for even the smallest e-commerce sites
recently. Although such statements may not be required by law, they
certainly can be reassuring to a pedantic anti-SPAM paranoid such as
myself. If I were part of these two organizations I would propose
adding a readily accessible, simple, even one- or two-paragraph privacy
policy to the site.

Rodney
(in Hayama, Japan)