[X-Newbies] Re: Virtual Desktops and multiple clips

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 3 20:09:15 PST 2005

On 3/11/2005 6:32 PM, "Charles Martin" <chasm at mac.com> wrote:

>> From: Brian Durant <globetrotterdk at gmail.com>
>>
>> For some reason OS X doesn't provide virtual desktops and multiple
>> clipboards like Linux.
>
> Actually, both are available -- just not from Apple.

A pity about the clipboard

>> Is this a BSD thing or an OS X thing?
>
> Neither. It's a "99.5% of computer users have no need for this and
> wouldn't use it anyway" thing.

True of virtual desktops (or even the simple alternative of multiple
accounts with fast switching, I have that and 99.99% of my work is on one
account)

Multiple clipboards however are not used by the majority merely because they
have never used one. It is quite common to have a document with more than
one passage requiring copying and pasting elsewhere. I would expect most
people would come across this from time to time. A multiple clipboard means
they can all be copied in the one operation and pasted in any order in a
time saving manner.

Likewise when one two or more phrases or words that have to be pasted
multiple times in a document, which again comes up fairly regularly, then
the multiple clipboard saves time.

And then there are the times when pasting a particular phrase, then needing
to paste just one different item, then going back to the first.

> This is what we have third-party developers for. And they have
> answered your call.

True of a generally not useful feature like virtual desktops, but
frustrating that we have to pay $20 or whatever for a simple and commonly
useful feature like multiple clipboards. I would consider one an essential
now that I am used to it.

>> ? There seem to
>> be shareware alternatives for the missing operability's but are any
>> worth recommending?

I recommend Shadow Clipboard from:

                                             http://www.stupidfish23.com

If anyone out there has never tried a multiple clipboard, I would recommend
trying one out, you are likely to be rather pleased you did. They can become
very useful little additions.

All the best,
Tony
http://tonyjohansen.com