[X-Newbies] Can Mac Mini use external USB modem?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Nov 4 23:44:32 PST 2005

Aldo Johnson said:

>I bought a Mac Mini, but forgot to order the optional internal modem.
>Can I use an external USB modem, originally for Windows, on the Mac
>Mini?
>
>The USB modem comes only with a Windows driver CD.

If it is a V.90 modem, you can get it to work, though getting a script
that is optimized for it might take some tweeking.  The generic V.90
modem script that comes with OS X should be a functional starting point.

If it is a V.92 modem, then, no, unless there is software for it from the
manufacturer specifically for the Macintosh, it won't work with your Mac.

The only external USB V.92 Macintosh-compatible modem that I know of is:

Best Data V.92 USB external fax modem for Macintosh  ($60)
http://www.bestdata.com/product.asp?pid=58&catID=4

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html