[X-Newbies] Updates for 10.4.2

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Mon Nov 21 14:54:42 PST 2005

At 4:38 PM -0500 11/21/05, J wrote:
>YES
>And I can't have any interruptions.

Then don't update. And scour the standard problem-reporting sites
(MacFixIt & Macintouch) for any issues which might be pertinent to
your situation. A subscription to MacFixIt might be advisable for
such critical need. Also check with your AppleCare Pro representative
or have a session with a Genius to address your concerns.

Perhaps simpler is to clone the installation at least twice, test the
clones, then update one clone and do longish-term testing...

If your installation is critical, are there any extant issues that
the update will serve for your installation? If not, don't even
bother to consider updating.

Just my experience: I've updated five machines and I've seen only
first-startup issues on three of them. The other two were fine. The
first-startup issues were refusals to start up after the update (yes,
I waited as long as an hour) and were simply resolved by using
AppleJack (search MacUpdate or VersionTracker) in single-user mode to
ensure that the usual culprits were all taken care of - disk repair,
caches, permissions, privileges and swap. One command, three little
words and I was back in business tem minutes later. All of my 10.4.3
machines are satisfactory in operation (and some former glitches seem
resolved).

Knowing ahead of time that odd things *can* occur, I always install
Applejack on my machines as a matter of course. It's as standard to
me now as having DiskWarrior and system CDs at hand (and usually
precludes my having to break out either of those).

As a more general observation, most installations simply have no
issues - update, reboot as and if  directed, and get back to work.
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]