[X-Newbies] How to get Mail.app to delete mail on server.

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 1 05:58:06 PDT 2005

On 29 Sep 2005, at 2:11 AM, Aldo Johnson wrote:

> I thought the "Right away" selection means that e-mails are removed
> from the server as they are downloaded, right away, but it doesn't
> do that. After downloading my e-mail, I went to the webmail version
> of my e-mail account. The e-mails are still there, in my mailbox.

         Actually "right away" means sort of right away.  What
happens is that Mail downloads all the messages then goes back and
removes them from the server in one batch.  If something interrupts
the process--for example, the connection goes down--they do not get
removed from the server.

         Every few months, I use webmail to check what's sitting on
the server and I usually find that one day something hiccuped and a
day's worth of old messages are sitting there gathering dust.

         I have heard of others having the problem of Mail never
removing messages from the server--so you're not alone.  I have not
heard of a solution, but one must exist.  If you sniff around places
like macosxhints and the Apple website, you may uncover discussion of
this.

         Sorry I could not be more helpful.

                                                     Peter