[X-Newbies] web design software info

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 10 08:40:49 PDT 2005

On 10/10/2005 11:26 PM, "Richard ramsowr" <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Morning Folks
>
> IÕm starting a Manufacturers Representative Agency and
> was looking for some insight and directon in finding a
> good low cost, user friendly and eye catching web site
> design software tool - such as ÒRapidWeaverÓ, ÒFreeway
> ExpressÓ or ÒFreeway ProÓ - any ideals , likes or
> dislikes?

Freeway looks good but you pay a lot of dollars for that cool look.
Personally I think keeping it simple is a forgotten concept too often. I do
90% of my work in Composer, the built-in WYSIWYG web program hidden in
Netscape, and then use Dreamweaver for those occasional 'Can't do it with
anything else' moments.

But recently Composer and the Mozilla organisation have given birth to a
brilliant stand alone application called Nvu that looks good, is a very
capable worker, and when compared with Freeway it still looks good, but
Freeway is expensive and Nvu is open source...

Check it out at:

                               http://www.nvu.com/

I still use Composer, habits die hard, but when I looked at Freeway a few
months ago, I couldn't justify the cost for what you get, it was competing
with GoLive and it's integration with Illustrator/Photoshop. And in the end
I don't think it is possible to beat the power of Dreamweaver combined with
Fireworks and Flash.

And on the other hand humble freebie Composer does most things without
complaint, and Nvu is even better, yet still the right price.

All the best

Tony,
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life In Art