[X-Newbies] Setting up a FileServer

Leigh Seaver keeleefeefee at mac.com
Tue Oct 11 04:37:50 PDT 2005

Hi!

I've got Panther running on an iMac DV and OS 8.6 running on an older PCI PowerMac.  I've got several large hard drives in the older PowerMac and it is connected through an Ethernet hub to the iMac for transfer and archiving of large files, primarily iMovie projects and a backup of my iTunes library.

The problem I am having is that when I log onto the older PowerMac through the iMac (via AppleTalk), the hard drives only register 1.99 GB.  I cannot transfer a file larger than 1.99 GB from the iMac to the PowerMac, but I can transfer several 1 GB files which total greater than 1.99 GB.  (Each hard drive on the PowerMac is 160 GB and are connected via at ATA/133 PCI card).  Interestingly enough, I can connect from the PowerMac to the iMac and pull files of any size from the iMac to the PowerMac, but only when doing this from the PowerMac.  I ultimately want to run the PowerMac headless as a file and backup server, so I do want to be able to move and manipulate all of my files via OS X.

Any ideas?  Any suggestions?  I can upgrade the PowerMac to OS 9 if that would help, but cannot upgrade it to OS X.  I am also planning on installing Timbuktu and Restrospect, but haven't done this yet.

Thanks,

Leigh