[X-Newbies] Setting up a FileServer

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Tue Oct 11 09:25:19 PDT 2005

On Oct 11, 2005, at 4:37 AM, Leigh Seaver wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've got Panther running on an iMac DV and OS 8.6 running on an
> older PCI PowerMac.  I've got several large hard drives in the
> older PowerMac and it is connected through an Ethernet hub to the
> iMac for transfer and archiving of large files, primarily iMovie
> projects and a backup of my iTunes library.
>
> The problem I am having is that when I log onto the older PowerMac
> through the iMac (via AppleTalk), the hard drives only register
> 1.99 GB.  I cannot transfer a file larger than 1.99 GB from the
> iMac to the PowerMac, but I can transfer several 1 GB files which
> total greater than 1.99 GB.  (Each hard drive on the PowerMac is
> 160 GB and are connected via at ATA/133 PCI card).  Interestingly
> enough, I can connect from the PowerMac to the iMac and pull files
> of any size from the iMac to the PowerMac, but only when doing this
> from the PowerMac.  I ultimately want to run the PowerMac headless
> as a file and backup server, so I do want to be able to move and
> manipulate all of my files via OS X.
>
> Any ideas?  Any suggestions?  I can upgrade the PowerMac to OS 9 if
> that would help, but cannot upgrade it to OS X.  I am also planning
> on installing Timbuktu and Restrospect, but haven't done this yet.

This is a limitation of personal file sharing on OS 8 and OS 9.
Personally, I'd consider transferring the large drives to a FW case
on the OS X box, then, if necessary, share them from the OSX box to
the PowerMac.

There may be 3rd party filesharing solutions that do not have a 2GB
limit. A Mac OS 9 ftp server is one. Versiontracker lists this one  -
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/13882 . I've not
tried it.

These methods may not be as easy as a finder-mounted share, so they
may not work for your uses.

--
Scott Buntin