[X-Newbies] Re: bookmarks/mail importing?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Oct 16 21:39:27 PDT 2005

> From: Cornett <cornett at gol.com>
>
> X-Noob Listas Gurus All
> G'day to All
Sorry Bill, I couldn't make heads nor tails of your post. A
combination of unclear writing and bad formatting made it impossible
for me to read beyond the second sentence. Might you want to try
again, using TEXT this time?

I'll try my hand on the one question I think I sort of understood:
you have a saved bookmarks file from Safari (which would be called
"bookmarks.plist") and you want your new copy of Safari to "see" it.

If I understand the problem correctly, here's one solution:

1. Open Safari.
2. Go to File -> Import Bookmarks
3. Point to your old "bookmarks.plist" file.
4. You will now have a folder in your bookmarks called "imported
bookmarks." Rearrange as makes you happy.

If you'd prefer to get rid of all your "current" bookmarks and
replace them with the "old" set, here's another procedure:

1. Locate your User Folder.
2. Inside there is a folder called Library.
3. Inside it is a folder called Safari.
4. Inside there is a file called bookmarks.plist. Remove it and put
it in the trash. DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH.
5. Take your "old" bookmarks.plist file and place it where the "new"
one was. It should go without saying, but OF COURSE Safari should not
be open while any of this is going on.
6. Open Safari. If your "old" bookmarks appear, you can empty the
trash. If they don't, write again and we'll go from there.

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are
inferior to McDonald's.