[X-Newbies] Word not working

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 17 07:01:48 PDT 2005

My wife is having trouble with Word and I have exhausted my (admittedly
limited) trouble shooting abilities.

Details:
Word opens normally in my user account, can click file and menu appears, and
all functions are as I expect.

In her account however if I do nothing it will open a blank page then after
a few seconds the spinning beach ball of death arrives, apparently
permanently.

If I am quick I can open the file menu and operate some functions such as
previously saved documents, but any further click produces the beach ball
only.

She is unable to remember what documents she was working on when this
happened (last night)

The only way to quit is force quit.

Several times as I tried things the dock stopped working and only returned
after relaunching the finder.

When I tried to look at activity monitor it said no access and to contact
the administrator. I am the administrator but do not know how to access or
input my password to look at activity in her account.

As I tidied up her desktop I discovered 3 small problems.
(1) A pdf which required configuration of the program. I clicked yes to Do
you want to configure now? And no further box appeared so I presume it was
automatic (?)
(2)Another document declared it had a corrupted file and asked if I wanted
to repair it? Again I clicked yes.
(3) I also discovered Internet explorer had 2 icons, one in dock and one on
desktop, so I disengaged the dock one (went up in smoke) and placed the
desktop one in the dock.

I suspect she has tried to inappropriately save or open a document and that
word is stuck trying to do an impossible operation or that something she got
off the internet was incompatible.

Any ideas?

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com