[X-Newbies] Re: Word not working

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Oct 19 23:38:04 PDT 2005

> From: Tony Johansen <tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au>
> The only info she provides is confusing. She said she had a file
> she had
> downloaded from the internet which she was trying to 'save to Word'
> apparently wanting to find it among the documents she actually
> creates in
> Word in future.

Yeah, I can understand what she means: she meant "I opened it in Word
in order to have it automatically save back to the RIGHT PLACE
[meaning where I keep all my own Word documents] so I don't lose
track of it."

I might suggest to you that both you and your wife would find this
sort of situation easier to deal with if she had a bit more
understanding/training on the basic concepts behind OS X. I'm not
talking about anything near a Computer Science degree, just a few of
the most common concepts explained in clear language. There are a
number of good books on the subject, but for her I might suggest "OS
X for Dummies" by David Pogue. If nothing else, he's an entertaining
writer (for a computer-book guru).

> One solution occurs to me: Would anything prevent me from simply
> creating a
> new account for her, dragging her documents that will open over to
> the new
> account then just deleting that current account?

Yes. Permissions. That idea is a nightmare that IS theoretically
possible, but a big pain to actually accomplish. Don't bother.

> Would Word simply start
> with a fresh Word Settings folder?

Why not simply delete the troublesome Word Settings folder (or put it
in the trash but not empty the trash) and force Word to create a new
one? That should solve the problem.

Cheers
_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are
inferior to McDonald's.