[X-Newbies] Re: Word not working

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Oct 19 23:38:04 PDT 2005

> From: Tony Johansen <tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au>
> The only info she provides is confusing. She said she had a file
> she had
> downloaded from the internet which she was trying to 'save to Word'
> apparently wanting to find it among the documents she actually
> creates in
> Word in future.

Yeah, I can understand what she means: she meant "I opened it in Word
in order to have it automatically save back to the RIGHT PLACE
[meaning where I keep all my own Word documents] so I don't lose
track of it."

I might suggest to you that both you and your wife would find this
sort of situation easier to deal with if she had a bit more
understanding/training on the basic concepts behind OS X. I'm not
talking about anything near a Computer Science degree, just a few of
the most common concepts explained in clear language. There are a
number of good books on the subject, but for her I might suggest "OS
X for Dummies" by David Pogue. If nothing else, he's an entertaining
writer (for a computer-book guru).

> One solution occurs to me: Would anything prevent me from simply
> creating a
> new account for her, dragging her documents that will open over to
> the new
> account then just deleting that current account?

Yes. Permissions. That idea is a nightmare that IS theoretically
possible, but a big pain to actually accomplish. Don't bother.

> Would Word simply start
> with a fresh Word Settings folder?

Why not simply delete the troublesome Word Settings folder (or put it
in the trash but not empty the trash) and force Word to create a new
one? That should solve the problem.

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are
inferior to McDonald's.