[X-Newbies] Re: Megabytes downloaded in Mail

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Oct 26 00:27:54 PDT 2005

> From: Aldo Johnson <deetya at cbn.net.id>
>
> is there a way to find out how many megabytes of e-mail I'm
> downloading using the Mail.app? So when I download the activity
> viewer would say something like "downloading 5 of 50 e-mails, 7
> megabytes total" or something like that?

Sort of. You can set a preference (under the Advanced tab) in Mail to
alert you if a large message (you define how big "large" is) is about
to be downloaded. It will tell you who it's from and how large the
message is. You can opt to download it, delete it or skip it and
download it later. I have mine set to let me know about anything over
50K (which amounts to a filter on any msgs that have more than just
text in them).

This not only helps stop spam, it also allows me to delete msgs that,
while not spam, are not wanted at this time (like the latest iTunes
mailout!), or skip large messages until later. I find it very handy.

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are
inferior to McDonald's.