[X-Newbies] Moving Netscape mail files via Firewire

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 26 09:54:53 PDT 2005

On 27/10/2005 2:13 AM, "Steven Rogers" <srogers1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:48 AM, Crandon David wrote:
>
>> While I do appreciate your desire to stay with whatever is
>> comfortable for you (I do the same, I'm always the last to ugrade),
>> I stronly  feel you should stop using Nestcape and move to Safari
>> and Mail.
>
> Though that wasn't really the question, that would be my advice too.
> The combination of Mail working with address book really opens up a
> lot of features. There are a lot of other programs that hook easily
> into address book, so you're missing out on a lot of nifty features
> if you're not using it.
>
> As for the browser, that's much more a question of style. I like the
> way safari handles bookmarks, but mostly I just like the clean
> interface. Your browser choice doesn't matter as much, because it
> isn't tightly coupled with other OS X features like Mail is.

 I'm going to disagree here guys since it all depends on what you are using
the browser for. Personally I too like using Safari for it's ability with
organising bookmarks, so I use it for all my 'light' browsing, the news and
so on.

But when it comes to working on websites (the 'heavier' work) it's lack of
extensions means that it is virtually unusable. For example if I work on my
blogs in Safari I have only 2 tools available in the tool bar with Safari.
With Netscape, IE and Firefox I have 10 tools available. The sorts of tools
Safari (and Opera) won't support are basics like Italicise, underline, font
colour, bold etc.

And this is not to mention the number of financial institutions that do not
support Safari (You listening Steve? We want a browser able to mix it with
the big boys down town! Is it that difficult, and while you're about it how
about some real world extensions? Firefox could do it, time for Apple to
catch up. You listening Steve?)

 When developing websites Netscape has a beautiful built in WYSIWYG editor
called composer which puts it head and shoulders above the other browsers.
The only thing really wrong with Netscape is that it looks like a dinosaur.
I get the impression that any engineers who are found to have any aesthetic
taste whatsoever over at Netscape must be instantly shown the door.

As to mail, its hard not to like a program that goes whoosh when the mail
goes... But, I have 16 e-mail addresses on Mail and it plays up, goes slow,
gives me spinning balls all the time. It has difficulties that I never
encounter with Entourage. I am always swearing that I'll move totally to
Entourage one day.

Tony
http://tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art