[X-Newbies] Re: Messenger not working

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 22:30:16 PDT 2005

> From: <jeffrey.anderson at auab.centaf.af.mil>
>
> My wife has an Ibook running Panther and is trying run a web-based
> messenger with me while I'm away.  She has tried it in Safari, Camino
> and IE and all of them give the same response.  The messenger is a
> java
> based (Bantu) pop-up and it will start loaded and then crash shortly
> thereafter.  She has tried downloaded and installing all sorts of JAVA
> updates (lots of them probably wrong).  I need to know how to "start
> from scratch".

1. Open iChat and set up AIM accounts.
2. Use iChat.

You're welcome.

>   How do you delete all of the Java stuff (and if
> necessary, browsers), and start over...or is there a built in recovery
> tool that can take the OS back to when I first got it?

You mean without erasing all your settings? Yes, you can do an
"archive and install" (which preserves your network and other
settings) from your OS X install discs. This of course replaces the
entire system but doesn't touch your non-system files.

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are
inferior to McDonald's.