[X-Newbies] Re: a query on permissions+

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Tue Sep 6 18:48:32 PDT 2005

Randy, et All Listas
G'day, and Thanx for your Guru input and help here Randy...

x-newbies-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
> Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:08:42 -0700
> From: Randy B.Singer <randy at macattorney.com>
> Subject: Re: [X-Newbies] Re: a query on permissions+

> >Surely this will be a not the best way to go, and definitely not the
> >way as shown on any of Randy Singer's OSX maintenance pages,
> >but it's not at all clear if the second repair move above will or
> >won't re-correct for the state of the now currently installed items
> >(which are all unknown to the booted from OSX install disk's DU
> >parametres) once rebooted to HD and running DU from there on
> >itself, as is hoped. Any ideas on this??
snip
> Repair Permissions in Disk Utility can only set the proper permissions
> for *Apple Software*.  It doesn't touch third party software or files.
>
> Up until OS X 10.3.something, you had to use the version of Disk Utility
> on your hard drive to repair permissions, because there were receipt
> files for subsequently installed software on the hard drive that wouldn't
> be read by the version of DU on your CD-ROM.  As of about 10.3.2,
> according to Dan Frakes, Apple made it so that if you run Disk Utility
> from the installer CD-ROM, receipts on your hard drive are read, and
> permissions are set correctly. (I've never received confirmation of this
> from anyone else.)
Taking the que from you and Dan Gurus here, I'd like to personally
confirm that following a DU privilege repair, I c-key booted to
the X.3.4(iirc) upgrade disk and ran DU's same repair from there
with almost the exact same repairs being accomplished, with the
exception of a couple extra /var/util(sorry, I don't recall the exact
path/name) also being corrected, and it being rerun again upon
normal HD reboot.
But, altho DW3.02 finds no errors and the directory has been
replaced with nothing out of place; I am still getting the same
runaround installer loop(agree/click/install/click over and over)
with Eudora v6.2.3, v6.2, and v6.1.1 with no install, and tho a bit
different with Netscape v7.2 and v7.1 after decompression from
17.3Mb to .dmg mount of 'bout 53Mb insize, then with each and
every doubleclick of the .dmg to open only being informed of ;
"broken pipe" (whatever that means) , and no install possible.
> However, unless there is a good reason for doing so otherwise, I would
> still run Disk Utility/Repair Permissions from the copy on your hard
> drive.
Anyway I'm happy to say that on my X.3.9 install DU does it's
work safely booted from both the installer and the HD.
snip
> Generally, if you have somehow gotten screwed up permissions for third
> party software and files, they won't open or run correctly.  If you need
> to fix the permissions all that you need to do is make sure that you are
> the owner of your own programs and files and that you have read/write
> privileges.  If you need to fix a lot of files at the same time, check
> out this free utility:
> BatChmod
> http://macchampion.com/arbysoft/
Thanx again for the point to, and I've DL'd it for possible use
later, but I'm now considering that perhaps the privileges
on StuffitExpander v9.01(somehow internally known as v9.02
since applying the updater) are set as wrong, could someone
Please advise me of their correct privilege settings on
StuffitExpander and DropStuff to be able to compare??

Meanwhile, I'll be having a look at the other 3'rd. party .apps
and stuff I've added in, trying to locate a culprit before I do
a X.3.9 combo apply(when this iMac came to me, it already
had 3.9 applied to it, altho I don't know if'n it was done by
the step/by/step updates or the combo) , and if'n an updater
install is all that's left to try, I do believe that the Archive&
Install w/saving settings will be the way to go, and I've got
the update combo on CD-R ready to go, but as I've not yet
been thru this process I'm not at all confident to find the
correct settings to choose, where in the install process do
I get to select these settings?? Do Please advise. TIA

Any/All advise, suggestions, ideas will be greatly welcomed
and very much appreciated to the Max.

Over the years and many various Mac OSs, and Lists our
Guru Randy has saved my bacon on numerous occasions,
and I've always read and have tried to heed his learned
always educational posts. Thank You once more again,
we are so lucky to have him onboard with us X noobs.

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornettATgolDOTcom
"Rust never sleeps."-N. Young