[X-Newbies] Firmware Update 5.1.8f7

Carole Wessel carwesg at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 21:48:25 PDT 2005

Hello,
I have a G5, and I am running 10.3.9.
I did run the Software update but I seem to be unable to update the
"Firmware Update 5.1.8f7".

A window comes up: It tells me to shut down and to restart by pressing
the Power button. I am supposed to get a "long tone or see the power
button light flashing... the firmware starts automatically. A status
bar shows the progress of the update. You may see more than one status
bar....etc"

None of this happens.  I went to the www.apple/support.  I got the same
info.

Am I not holding the button long enough (I am a little nervous about
ruining my computer doing this) ? Is it important that I do this ?  Or
should I just not bother?
Thanks for the imput.

Best, Carole