[X-Newbies] Can't connect to internet?

Mark Taintor markwt at mac.com
Wed Sep 7 21:45:40 PDT 2005

My college age son called me tonight frustrated because his iBook
(running Tiger - not sure what version) doesn't want to connect to the
internet now. It worked earlier in the evening, but not now. When he
goes to the networking  location in his system preferences he gets this
message: Your cable for internet is connected but your computer does
not have an IP address and could not connect to the internet. I had him
try to restart and he got the following message: 10.1.101.28 in use by
00:08:a1:16:9e:55, dhcp server 10.1.0.222.

Here's what he's tried:
1. Switching connection locations. His roommate's computer connects to
the internet, so my son tried plugging into the wall port that his
roommate was using. Didn't make any difference.
2. I also had him run disk permissions - from the hard drive, not from
his original disks. (His original disks are here at home, not with
him.) Didn't help.
3. Had him try to set up a new location from within the Network area of
System Preferences. Didn't help.

Any other ideas? Any other information you need about his setup. Thanks
in advance for your help.
Mark Taintor
Chanhassen, MN USA