[X-Newbies] Can't connect to internet?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 7 21:57:12 PDT 2005

On Sep 7, 2005, at 11:45 PM, Mark Taintor wrote:

> My college age son called me tonight frustrated because his iBook
> (running Tiger - not sure what version) doesn't want to connect to
> the internet now. It worked earlier in the evening, but not now.
> When he goes to the networking  location in his system preferences
> he gets this message: Your cable for internet is connected but your
> computer does not have an IP address and could not connect to the
> internet. I had him try to restart and he got the following
> message: 10.1.101.28 in use by 00:08:a1:16:9e:55, dhcp server
> 10.1.0.222.

He should make sure that the network configuration is set to use DHCP
and not a specified IP address.

One of the things that can cause this kind of behavior (particularly
in a dorm) is when a bunch of newly arrived people in the dorm are
plugging in Linksys routers and such, and some plug the LAN wire into
the WAN port of the router. Then a bunch of DHCP servers come on
line, a bunch of devices get conflicting IP addresses, and everyone
is generally hosed. If that is happening, other people on the network
should be seeing problems also, but perhaps not immediately.

SR