[X-Newbies] Re: Upgrading from Panther to Tiger.

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 06:38:49 PDT 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Charles Martin wrote:

> I'm always very surprised to see ANYONE having any trepidation
> about this. It's not rocket science -- hell, it's not even changing
> a lightbulb.

Boy, you sound like my brother-in-law.

I need to a new water pump in the mini van.

He says, "no problem its not like its rocket science."

1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Remove the serpentine belt from the water pump.
3. Remove the water pump.
4. Reverse process.
5. Drive.

Its as easy as that. He could do it in his sleep, but I haven't
changed a water pump for over 20 years, and cars have changed a lot
since then (or have they?).

Its not about how easy or hard it is, its about inexperience -not
knowing what could go wrong. That's what newbie lists are for.

And Brian, Chas pretty well described what you need to do. If you
have any questions on the particulars (like how to make a backup)
this is a good place to post. I know there are books written on the
topic of upgrades like this, but IMO they're overkill.

-Mike