[X-Newbies] Re: Dialup services

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Sep 27 15:35:26 PDT 2005

> From: Randy B.Singer <randy at macattorney.com>
> This all works, but not as well, in most instances, as having real
> broadband.

Let me second that ... while in some cases "accelerated" dialup can
seem faster than regular dialup, even the best acceleration is
NOWHERE near real broadband.

Even the slowest DSL I've ever seen is more than twice as fast as the
most accelerated instances of dialup. Cable is at least 5 times
faster, and if you have the newer "standard" of 5mbps cable, there's
no amount of compression trickery that even brings it near the same
general neighbourhood.

If real broadband is available to you, and you do more than VERY
LIGHT surfing/emailing, you should really look into it. Even the
worst broadband is WAY better than the best dialup. It's like the
difference between desk fans and central air conditioning: no real
comparison.

Cheers
Chas