[X-Newbies] Appleworks not responding

Lawrence Klinger zzippy at cox.net
Wed Aug 30 09:21:11 PDT 2006

On 8/30/06 4:48 AM, "Keith Mills" <4.oiseaux at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello everyone and Help!
>
> Until last night, Appleworks was working; I wrote a couple of letters
> and updated a database. This morning (I always switch off overnght), it
> is not responding. All I get is the spinning ball. Everything but
> Appleworks seems to be working normally.
>
> Any ideas please.
>
> Thank you in advance
> Keith
=================================
Greetings Keith:
Like you, I'm the perpetual "newby" even though I've been using a Mac
for over 5 years. Right now I'm using 10.3.9 - I'm assuming you are
running Tiger - correct?

Regardless, when I run into a situation like yours, I assume that something
has cluttered up the works, and my way of solving the problem has been
to restart about 3 - 4 times, to allow the system to settle itself.  But I
also disconnect the computer for about 2 or 3 minutes to insure that all
the junk will be purged.  My guess (and it's only a guess) is that when you
do a shut down, the computer is still drawing power and tends to "hang on"
to some of the garbage that's causing the clutter.  Disconnecting
temporarily cuts everything loose, so that when you restart, it can put
EVERYTHING back in order.

Failing that, I go to the old reliable Disk Warrior.  If you have it, I'd
give it a shot.

Another good utility, BTW is Cocktail.

Cheers,

Zippy