[X-Newbies] Configuring Mail in Tiger

Raoul Armfield armfield at amnh.org
Thu Feb 9 06:10:07 PST 2006

What outgoing mailserver are you using on your wife's office computer?
is this a home office using the same ISP that you are using for the
computer where you set up info at ...?  If it a other office it may be that
the ISP is not allowing port 25(the outbound mail port) except to a
specific set of mailservers.  Have her enter the same outgoing mail
server as others in the office are using.

Raoul

Tony Johansen wrote:
>  I am having problems with configuring my wife's email account on her eMac.
> She is running Tiger. This is the full story:
>

>  I created 3 email addresses on her web hosting account:
> info at wellbeingatmacquarie.com.au
> lynda at wellbeingatmacquarie.com.au
> paula at wellbeingatmacquarie.com.au
>
> I set up info at wellbeingatmacquarie.com.au on my eMac in Mail and it works
> perfectly. both ingoing and outgoing. I am using 10.3.9
>
> The problem I had today was when I was at Paula's office and tried to set up
> paula at wellbeingatmacquarie.com.au on her office computer. It is also an eMac
> running OS 10.4.3 it accepted the info for incoming server but outgoing just
> brings up an error message 'outgoing smtp server not responding' I am not
> familiar with Tiger and this is the first time Mail has been used on this
> computer. It brings up a set up box. It does not allow me to enter or check
> that it is using port 25
>
> I presume there is a preference somewhere that needs changing. I have just
> gotten off the phone to her checking any differences with my Mac. Can't find
> any real differences under system preferences and Mail preferences is greyed
> out.
>
> Any suggestions. Assume a minimum of computer savvy and zero knowledge of
> Tiger.
>
> Thanks
>

> Tony
> http://www.tonyjohansen.com