[X-Newbies] Re: Slow, slow, slow computing

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Thu Feb 16 17:19:08 PST 2006

R.C., et All
Hi!, maybe this will be of some help...

On Feb 17, 2006, at 04:28 AM,
x-newbies-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:40:47 -0600
> From: R.C.Dickins
> Subject: [X-Newbies] Slow, slow, slow computing
> To: x-newbies at listserver.themacintoshguy.com

> snip
> I have a Power Macintosh G3 which runs on a 266 MHz processor and has
> 576MB of memory. The hard disk is divided into the following sections:
Am guessing that this would be a BeigeG3 in use.

> Mac OSX 10.2.8 with 6.8GB (1.3 GB Free)
> Mac Storage with 43.6 GB (41.7 GB Free)
> Mac OS 9.2 with 6.8 GB (5.6 GB Free)
When you partitioned the HD, your 1st. for OSX should have been done
@ 7.4Gb for somewhat extra space that X needs, and IIRC less than 25%
freespace will choke X, and make most any defrag attempt mostly moot.

> When I am in Mac OSX, the computer seems to run more slowly every day.
> Mail and Word for Mac are particularly slow and I sometimes lose Word
> when I am working on charts. A check with Norton Disk Doctor does not
> reveal any problems and only light fragmentation.
Do not for any reason use NU on a partition with X installed, or on
one that has X files on it. NU has saved my butt too many times to
count on OS 7, 8 and up to 9.1, but with any OS higher I have since
learned to respect my Systems/drives and never install or use it,
instead you will need both DiskWarrior(alsoft.com) and TechToolPro
(micromat.com).

> Could it help to move things to Mac Storage to give more room to OSX?
Sure, ie; iPhoto's library and also iTunes can be mapped/moved there
nicely.
Also, may I suggest the use of Delocalizer or MonoLingual to remove
all/any of the UNused OSX languages files, using it the first time
might cut your overhead by 800MB to 1Gb, you may also want to trash
all UNused printer drivers/packages that you don't plan to ever use.
You also, may want to use CacheOutX to clean out all your browser's
cache, history, cookies and favicon files regularly, as many of
us tend to need to do.

HTHs and Goodluck, plus keep us posted on your progress.

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornettATgolDOTcom

/