[X-Newbies] MAC VIRUS

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Feb 17 12:24:39 PST 2006

On Feb 17, 2006, at 1:51 PM, carwesg at aol.com wrote:

> HI TEAM,
>
> Just got an e-mail informing that there is a Virus for us, MAc
> users!!!
> What do you think?  I thought a G5 having a firewall was protected!
> Are we protected or should we protect ourselves and how?
> Any feedback on this?

Its not a virus, its a trojan horse. IOW you have to be tricked into
downloading it, unzipping the file, then running the program in an
admin account or give it an admin password. There's no way to protect
a system against an admin user intentionally running a bad program.

In the end, its no different than the other rootkits etc we've been
hearing about for a long time (the last one was masquerading as a jpg
file IIRC).

Bottom line is if you don't know where an application came from,
don't run it.

-Mike