[X-Newbies] MAC VIRUS

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Tue Feb 21 13:12:23 PST 2006

As the one who started the discussion about making sure information
is either "correct" or is a guess (educated or otherwise), I think
the back-and-forth has had value. As Steve points out with his ironic
comment, it's silly for new users to blindly accept all advice, as
traveling that road has significant danger. I think Jane understands
that it is important to be a bit more clear in her communications.
And I've learned that flame wars can certainly take on a life of
their own!

Now let's get back to helping new users learn to use their Macs
safely and effectively.

And on that note, there does appear to be a new security threat
associated with Safari, where downloading a "safe" file that actually
hides a certain type of shell script can lead to the shell script
automatically running. A malicious shell script could do all sorts of
bad things, like, say, erasing your whole user directory. I'd say
that this is probably a fair bit worse than the Oompa Loompa worm. I
would expect Apple to address this fairly quickly, but in the
meantime would suggest that everyone turn off "Open "safe" files
after downloading" option in the General Pane of Safari preferences.
Then check the file information for the downloaded file before
opening it. In the case of a sample exploit, the filename indicates
that the file is a picture; however, under file preview in Column
View in the Finder, the file is described as a Unix Executable File.
This exploit can also occur with Mail.app, but there is not an easy
fix for that at this point.

<http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/69862> for more
information.

Norm
---
Norman A. Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which
side he's on."
Joseph Heller