[X-Newbies] file types and opening files in X

david_elmo david_elmo at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 12 19:53:06 PST 2006

In less than X, it was pretty simple: one would set the file type and
creator and the file would open in whatever was set. One could batch
change sets with a facility like Typeshuffler. It all worked pretty
good. I am a bit lost in X re this whole thing... I think there may
be some software bug in this regard in X considering the crazy things
that happen on my QS with Tiger?

I know that one can "open with" from context menus and get info and
that is all very well. But I want permenancy. When I open an
illustrator file I want it to open in classic in my Illustrator 8 and
also all such files. If I change one file (that is inexplicably set
to textEdit?) the "open with" in the get info, the icon changes to
the Illustrator one. If I leave things at this stage, things are fine
for this file. But if I go on to "change all" in order to "Use this
app to open all docs like this." (sounds pretty slack to me this), I
get a notice that asks if I am sure I want to change all my Adobe
Ill.. 8 docs to open with the app Adobe Ill 8..." Well of course I
do! So I say yes and press continue. Result: it reverts back to
TextEdit!!!

So you can see I am not a little puzzled by all this...

David elmo