[X-Newbies] Broadband and Macintosh

Keith MILLS 4.oiseaux at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 14 04:09:44 PST 2006

On 13 janv. 06, at 15:54, David Flory wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2006, at 3:57 AM, Keith MILLS wrote:
>
>> Thank you so much. And such a simple solution. Hours on the phone
>> with my provider achieved nothing/30 seconds with your advice and hey
>> presto!
>>
>> Thanks again.
>> Keith
>>
>> On 13 janv. 06, at 10:59, J wrote:
>>
>>> Check the 'proxies' settings in the Safari prefs?

> Keith, I'm interested in what the settings were that gave you the
> problem and what made things work, in case I see that error problem
> again somewhere. Just goes to show that my experience is typical, i.e.
> tech support usually doesn't know it's posterior alimentary
> termination from a hole in the ground. When you find someone who
> understands macs you have experienced a minor miracle.

When it comes to technical things, I'm nought but an innocent abroad!
So .... I presumed that I could simply follow Wanadoo's formula and get
connected. The advice I received from X-Newbies was so simple (but
beyond me!).

As advised, I went into System Preferences and then into Proxies.
Assist me took me into Network Setup Assistant; and even I could follow
the steps from there!

But may I now reveal another little problem?

When I have not used the computer for several hours, I lose the
connection; no internet/no mail. If I then have a look at the
configurations, Ethernet Adaptor (en1) which is normally active has
disappeared from the setup! It shows internal modem instead - which
does not work. I can get back on with the return of Ethernet Adaptor by
restarting the computer. But surely that should not be necessary. Am I
missing something more?

Keith