[X-Newbies] Intel Macs 64 bit????

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Tue Jan 17 12:44:27 PST 2006

On Tuesday, 17 January 2006 16:36, Brian Durant wrote:
> Does anyone know if the new Intel Macs are 64 bit? When I was looking
> for a new computer last spring, I decided on my G5 because it was the
> only 64 bit model available in Jakarta. If I had wanted to purchase or
> order a PC built, it would have had to have had an Intel chip as no
> one in Jakarta would touch an AMD. They claimed that AMD chips have
> heat issues. Anyway, at the time there were no Intel 64 bit offerings,
> so I opted to go back to Mac despite Jobs' clone policy (no clone
> flames, please).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian

Both new models use Core Duo Processors, which are sort of dual core Dothans -
Pentium M processors. So 32 bits.

I don't know what the "bigger" ones will be using. If you're looking for 64
Bit intel Macs, you should wait

As for AMD having heat issues, this shows how intelligent people are: this has
been an issue with AMD K6... It's like someone not buying a modern car
because that make had a problem 50 years ago!

I'm running  double Athlon here with no heat problem, even during the hottest
summer days!

Thierry

Frank Zappa