[X-Newbies] Intel Macs 64 bit????

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 17 13:38:53 PST 2006

On 18/1/2006 7:44 AM, "Thierry de Coulon" <tcoulon at decoulon.ch> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 17 January 2006 16:36, Brian Durant wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the new Intel Macs are 64 bit? When I was looking
>> for a new computer last spring, I decided on my G5 because it was the
>> only 64 bit model available in Jakarta. If I had wanted to purchase or
>> order a PC built, it would have had to have had an Intel chip as no
>> one in Jakarta would touch an AMD. They claimed that AMD chips have
>> heat issues. Anyway, at the time there were no Intel 64 bit offerings,
>> so I opted to go back to Mac despite Jobs' clone policy (no clone
>> flames, please).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Brian
>
> Both new models use Core Duo Processors, which are sort of dual core Dothans -
> Pentium M processors. So 32 bits.
>
> I don't know what the "bigger" ones will be using. If you're looking for 64
> Bit intel Macs, you should wait

Sure we should wait.  Even though the MacBook Pro is sort of likely to be
fairly high end for notebooks, the truly high end professional computing
equipment is likely to be the successors to the G5 Towers, and I would be
surprised if Apple slips to 32 bit for that one. As it stands, overall the
Mactel MacBook are a step up from G4 Powerbooks, and there is no reason to
suppose improvements won't happen across the board in overall ways even
though this is always likely to consist of a balance of losses and gains,
with gains outweighing losses hopefully. (I have faith in Steve)

One thing that gains no publicity unfortunately is that emulation software
like virtual PC which works on IBM chips like a slug, actually works at
normal speed on intel chips according to software developers. I hear of
people worrying if Windows will boot on Mactel chips, but if virtual PC
works at normal PC speeds then who cares, cause virtual Windows will be
practical finally. It means Windows-only software like Swish will work on
our machines properly. I for one will be glad of that small mercy, Virtual
PC on Power Mac chips was so horrible it was a waste of money, but finally
we get closer to the universal PC.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art