[X-Newbies] A real mess.....

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Jan 24 09:47:38 PST 2006

Patty Woodbury said:

>try DiskWarrior. I have that in there and it is giving
>me an error message- The directory of the disk "Unknown Disk" cannot be
>rebuilt. The disk was not modified. The orginal directory is too severely
>damaged. It appears another disk utility has erased critical directory
>information (3004,2016).

That's a scary error report.  I would next try running Disk Warrior by
holding down the Option key, which will put it in Scavenge mode, and it
will be more aggressive about trying to find files and build a directory.
(It may restore a number of files that you previously trashed.)

If that doesn't work, your disk is probably unrepairable.  Though it will
probably be fine if you erase and reformat it.  But first you can
probably recover most of your data with:

Data Rescue II
<http://prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php?PHPSESSID=c1a02a6cc87e
2687964b974d63f7dbaa>

But you will need another drive to recover your data to.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html