[X-Newbies] Headless minis

Gen Hadlow Mac Impact Dbn ghadlow at iafrica.com
Tue Jan 24 22:01:22 PST 2006

On 21/1/2006 5:19 AM, "Steven Rogers" <srogers1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I have a MacMini that  setting up to use as a server. I found out
> that VNC works to control it by just enabling Apple Remote Desktop in
> the sharing preference panel (tres neato!). And I found out that
> there were initially some problems with the Mini running without a
> display, but now it runs fine headless. But what I'm really wondering
> is whether I can plug/unplug a VGA monitor from the adapter while the
> Mini is running. I still have some configuring to do, and
> occasionally I just want to escape from VNC and use the real thing.
> Would plugging / unplugging a VGA monitor hose anything?
>
> Thanks,
> SR

Do you have a second mac/pc close by that has a monitor attached?
If so, you can buy a cheap monitor switch box and a couple of extra monitor
cables and attach the monitor to the switch box and share the monitor
between the other mac and the mac mini by flipping the switch. Works very
well!
just remember to wake up the mac mini if it has gone into a monitor sleep
mode by pressing any key or shaking the mouse. Or you can also set the
monitor to never sleep in the system pref pane.
Gen