[X-Newbies] Panther to Tiger on a QuickSilver - a few questions as always...

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat Jun 24 16:41:34 PDT 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Richard Ramsowr wrote:

> Morning all
>
> The time is at hand - as well as the cash so ...
>
> It looks as those IÕll about to take the plunge by
> upgrading my Power Mac, G4,  ÒQuickSilverÓ, 733 MHz
> with a L2 cache of 256 KB and a bus speed of 133 MHz.
> ItÕs Memory is maxÕed out at 1.5 GB and itÕs Boot ROM
> is version 4.2.5f1. the CPU is a Power PC G4 (2.1). I
> looking to take OX x (10.3.9) up to a 10.4 ÒTigerÓ all
> the way to the current version which I understand is
> about to be 10.4.7 - better late than never. IÕm using
>  the standard fair when it comes to software i.e.
> Safari, Appleworks and the likes. The unit is used for
> both personal use as well as running a small business.
>
> Any thing that I should know about before hand or that
> stands out as a Òno noÓ?

Hello Rick:

Congratulations.  But Tiger comes on DVD unless you pay extra for the
CD version.  Do you have a DVD drive?

Carefully consider which of the several methods you have available to
make the upgrade.  Many people prefer the Archive and Install option as
being the safest and most trouble free.  If you check the Apple support
pages with queries like "install tiger," you'll find much info,
including this one:
Mac OS X 10.4: About installation options

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.