[X-Newbies] Mac..Itunes..Ipod..moving music to external drive

W Lane wilann at telusplanet.net
Thu Mar 16 19:53:08 PST 2006

On 06-Mar-16, at 8:38 PM, Thomas McDermott Jr wrote:

> Good evening,
> 	Am hoping someone..anyone?? could offer some assistance to this
> question I have.  I have a powerbook that has a 40 gig hard drive
> and most of that is being used for music for my ipod.  I have an
> external drive that was formatted for use on my PC that I would
> like to somehow reformat to copy over my music files from my itunes
> on my mac.  Would then like to, when I sync my ipod, copy from
> whats on the external drive instead of whats on my powerbook.  Does
> that make sense??  I am just not sure how any of that gets
> done..mostly, how do I get my ipod and or itunes to look on my
> external drive instead of my powerbook's HD?  If that is easy to
> do..is it even possible to leave some music on powerbook for when I
> travel but not have the ipod sync from there?

Easy. The Mac should be able to 'see' the PC formatted HD as is. If
not, use Disk Utility to reformat it to Mac standard (HFS+).  Once
having done that, create a folder on that HD that you would like your
iTunes music stored in.  Then, in iTunes prefs>Advanced>General, set
your iTunes music library location to that folder. I would  then drag
the entire contents from HD>YourUserName>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music to
your new folder of choice. From that point on, provided that you make
sure to have the HD containing your music connected when you plug in
the iPod, you should be OK.