[X-Newbies] Mac..Itunes..Ipod..moving music to external drive

Thomas McDermott Jr tjm at pobox.com
Thu Mar 16 20:46:38 PST 2006

Good evening,
    Thanks so much for the quick reply..seems easy enough.  Was
wondering what happens when I don't have external drive attached and am
traveling...can I buy music from itunes music store and have it sit on
my powerbook's hd and then copy it to external drive when I get it back
connected?  Can I leave some music on my powerbook just for listening
but have the sync'ing only from external drive?

Thanks

W Lane wrote:

Easy. The Mac should be able to 'see' the PC formatted HD as is. If not,
use Disk Utility to reformat it to Mac standard (HFS+).  Once having
done that, create a folder on that HD that you would like your iTunes
music stored in.  Then, in iTunes prefs>Advanced>General, set your
iTunes music library location to that folder. I would  then drag the
entire contents from HD>YourUserName>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music to your
new folder of choice. From that point on, provided that you make sure to
have the HD containing your music connected when you plug in the iPod,
you should be OK.