[X-Newbies] Backup strategy needed

Mark Taintor markwt at mac.com
Tue Mar 21 22:26:52 PST 2006

I have a G4/533 running 10.2.8. 1 gig ram.  It has a 40gig primary
internal drive, a 13 gig internal drive, and a 160 gig external drive.
I'm down to just over 3 gb of free space on the main internal drive and
am getting nervous about the lack of free space. I have everything
backed up onto the external drive using Superduper.

What I'd like to do is to move my iPhoto and iTunes libraries to the
external drive. This would free up about 20 gb and allow me to upgrade
to Tiger. My concern is that I wouldn't then have a backup for my music
and photos.

Now onto my questions:
1. If I partitioned my external drive into several partitions, can one
of the partitions serve as backup for another partition? Is that a
smart thing to do?
2. Would I be better off buying a larger internal drive and moving
everything on my current 40 gig drive to something larger internally?
3. If I do go with another internal drive, what kind of drive should I
be looking for?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Mark

Mark Taintor
Chanhassen, MN USA