[X-Newbies] website url won't load

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sat May 6 06:28:45 PDT 2006

On May 6, 2006, at 8:01 AM, Ersilia wrote:

> Hi if it helps, i couldnt get into the site either last week, the
> problem turned out to be the broadband setting on my imac.  ring
> your isp and get them to walk you thru the setting again,
> especially to reset the automatic setting of your IP address.  It's
> worth a try. . . .

I would say that's a bad idea unless you have an unusually good ISP.
If you're getting broadband from a cable company or big telco, then I
would advise against using them to walk you through anything on a
Mac. You're almost certainly going to get incorrect advice. Its
really very simple anyway, and you should learn how to do this basic
network setup yourself - you open the network control panel and pick
"use DHCP". That's it. You're done.

On the PC, it is not unusual to redo settings that appear correct and
have problems mysteriously go away, however I have never seen that on
a Mac. It would be interesting to know what "broadband" setting on
your iMac mysteriously became incorrect. In general use on a home
broadband connection, you really shouldn't ever have to open the
network control panel. If something strange is going on, I wouldn't
start there, as you might on a PC. If you have someone in the family
who likes to monkey around with those things, then you might need to
start there  . . .

SR