[X-Newbies]

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 5 08:50:57 PST 2006

On Nov 4, 2006, at 12:51 PM, J wrote:

> I wasn't aware that this was a newbie 'programming' list.

Package systems like MacPorts aren't just for programmers. There are
a lot of programming tools in there, but there are also a lot of
specialized tools that have nothing to do with programming, like math/
science and audio/video programs (and a few lame games). There are
plenty of things about it that aren't newbie topics - but just
knowing that package systems exist and what they are (they install
software and keep it up to date, like Software Update in the Apple
menu) is appropriate for newbies. It's a huge free resource that is
just one of the ways in which the whole family of Unixy systems
(which now includes OS X) is different from the PC.

> Can you direct people to a list that just does basic newbie
> questions such as how things work on OS X?
> What with all the different but similarly named folders it is hard
> to tell which you can trash and which you can't anymore. I recently
> had a start up problem that was fixed beautifully by trashing whole
> folders of things you would never imagine could be trashed....

If the question is "what can I safely trash": you can probably get by
OK by not trashing anything except Applications that you installed
and now want to loose, and things in your own user area, like your
Documents, Music, Movies, etc. folders. However, some people like to
keep things "cleaned up" and that question is more like "what is the
*most* I can delete without goofing things up" - that's a much more
complex question. There are lots of little things related to fonts
and preferences and temp files that *might* potentially be deleted or
optimized, but even just font management alone is whole micro-science.

Generally, I would say that it is not worth the time and aggravation
to dig through the system to remove every little temp file an unused
preference that you can. Sometimes you need to do that to fix a
problem, or keep an old marginal system going, but I wouldn't do it
as a matter of course. For the average user using the machine in an
average way, just leave all that "system-ish" stuff alone. It is far
more efficient time-wise, and you won't have to worry about how to
fix something you accidentally goof up. If you're feeling like "Oh,
how will I, a newbie, ever learn all the obscure files I need to
delete to keep my machine in tip-top shape like those experienced
people", then just forget about it. While they're tweaking obscure
files, listen to some great music.

If you're thinking along the lines of "I fixed this startup problem
by deleting some obscure files, so maybe there is some list of
obscure file locations I should be checking and cleaning?" - well,
that's probably debatable, but I would say that it is much easier to
address specific issues than to try to prevent them with this sort of
"cleaning" activity.

Of course, there are considerations that might change that - e.g. you
have several machines to administer, you have machines with lots of
users, you're running a critical business application, etc. - but in
that case we're not talking "newbie" advice anymore.

SR