[X-Newbies] Help with catalog b-tree crises needed.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 09:14:04 PST 2006

Fink Commander crashed and seems to have taken my whole OS X system down.
The system on my G5 single hung at the grey startup apple on restart (after
I tried flushing the PRAM), so  I booted from my Tiger install disk, and
tried running the Disk Repair app and got the following:

- Keys out of order
- Rebuilding Catalog B-tree
- The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired
- Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
  1 volume could not be repaired because of an error
Repair attempted on 1 volume could not be repaired

"First Aid failed: The underlying task reported failure on exit."

1) Fortunately, I have Xubuntu Edgy installed on another internal SATA drive
on my G5 single. And I am able to boot up from that. I have run 'sudo mkdir
/mnt/ osx' and 'sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sdb3 /mnt/osx' and I have access
to  my OS X HD, but when I get to my user profile, all of the folders are
locked, except "bookmarks" and "desktop". How do I gain access to these? I
need to backup documents, photos (including iPhoto), iTunes music, passwords
from the keyring, etc. onto my Xubuntu HD.

2) I need to install Tiger onto an external Firewire HD (hopefully my drive
has the cooperative interface for doing this) and then get my hands on Disk
Warrior or Tech Tools Pro and install this on the external Firewire HD. Any
recommendations that will make this process less painful for me?

Cheers,

Brian