[X-Newbies] DiskWarrior recovery help.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 03:30:45 PST 2006

Fink Commander crashed and seems to have taken my whole OS X system down.
The system on my G5 single hung at the grey start up apple on restart (after
I tried flushing the PRAM), so  I booted from my Tiger install disk, and
tried running the Disk Repair app and got the following:

- Keys out of order
- Rebuilding Catalog B-tree
- The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired
- Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
  1 volume could not be repaired because of an error
Repair attempted on 1 volume could not be repaired

"First Aid failed: The underlying task reported failure on exit."

I have installed a copy of Tiger onto an external Firewire HD and installed
a copy of Disk Warrior (3.0.3) as well. Disk Warrior is running extremely
slow. It has been work on my HD (150 GB) for about 12 hours now and it
doesn't to be doing much of anything. Disk Warrior has a message that states
"Speed inhibited by disk malfunction." I am wondering how long I should wait
(more or less patiently) until I should give up. Should I use another tool
instead, like Apple Jack... or?

An alternative is that I have Xubuntu Edgy installed on another internal
SATA drive on my G5 single. And I am able to boot up from that. I have run
'sudo mkdir /mnt/ osx' and 'sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sdb3 /mnt/osx' and I
have access to  my OS X HD, but when I get to my user profile, all of the
folders are locked, except "bookmarks" and "desktop". Anyone know how I gain
access to these? I need to backup documents, photos (including iPhoto),
iTunes music, passwords from the keyring, etc. onto an extra HFS+ partition
on my Firewire drive.

Cheers,

Brian