[X-Newbies] DiskWarrior recovery help.

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 19 08:23:38 PST 2006

On Nov 19, 2006, at 5:30 AM, Brian Durant wrote:

> Fink Commander crashed and seems to have taken my whole OS X system
> down.

Sounds more like you had a hardware problem, and the program you
happened to be running at the time was Fink Commander.

> I have installed a copy of Tiger onto an external Firewire HD and
> installed a copy of Disk Warrior (3.0.3) as well. Disk Warrior is
> running extremely slow. It has been work on my HD (150 GB) for
> about 12 hours now and it doesn't to be doing much of anything.
> Disk Warrior has a message that states "Speed inhibited by disk
> malfunction." I am wondering how long I should wait (more or less
> patiently) until I should give up. Should I use another tool
> instead, like Apple Jack... or?

For future reference, always run Disk Warrior first. Disk Utility can
putz things up so that they can't be repaired by Disk Warrior.

> when I get to my user profile, all of the folders are locked,
> except "bookmarks" and "desktop". Anyone know how I gain access to
> these?

you might be able to copy them with sudo cp -R, as in: sudo cp -R
your-user-dir  backup-partition

If that doesn't work, once you've given up on recovering the disk,
try changing the ownership of your whole user directory structure to
your Xubuntu user using chown -R. Then you should be able to do
anything with it.

SR