[X-Newbies] DiskWarrior recovery help.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 13:06:44 PST 2006

Thanks for the reply Steve,

On 11/19/06, Steven Rogers <srogers1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2006, at 5:30 AM, Brian Durant wrote:
>
> > Fink Commander crashed and seems to have taken my whole OS X system
> > down.
>
> Sounds more like you had a hardware problem, and the program you
> happened to be running at the time was Fink Commander.

Could be. I didn't have any symptoms earlier, as far as I know, but I am not
an expert.

> For future reference, always run Disk Warrior first. Disk Utility can
> putz things up so that they can't be repaired by Disk Warrior.

Yes, I have learned my lesson.

> when I get to my user profile, all of the folders are locked,
> > except "bookmarks" and "desktop". Anyone know how I gain access to
> > these?
>
> you might be able to copy them with sudo cp -R, as in: sudo cp -R
> your-user-dir  backup-partition

sudo cp -R "user-dir" /mnt/osx2 returns:

cp: cannot create directory `/mnt/osx2/"user-dir"': Read-only file system

If that doesn't work, once you've given up on recovering the disk,
> try changing the ownership of your whole user directory structure to
> your Xubuntu user using chown -R. Then you should be able to do
> anything with it.

I have tried 'chown -R /mnt/osx2' (assuming that /mnt/osx2 is read only. The
result was:

"chown: missing operand after `/mnt/osx2'
Try `chown --help' for more information."

/mnt/osx2 is /dev/sdc12 a large partition (but seperate - /dev/sdc12) that
is on the same Firewire drive that I have installed an OS X system - where I
can run DiskWarrior from

Any ideas?

Cheers,