[X-Newbies] Re: Your message to X-Newbies awaits moderator approval

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 06:57:15 PST 2006

On 11/21/06, Al Poulin <alpoulin at cox.net> wrote:

> Using HTML in e-lists can cause messages to not be received.  Some
> e-mail clients cannot receive HTML.  And some users prefer to turn HTML
> off in the client's preferences.  I do.  Also, HTML adds to the
> bandwidth required to handle e-mail.
>
> At the lowendmac.com web site, there is an excellent description of
> "netiquette."

Debate about whether or not html is good netiquette has been raging on
the Internet since html styling was first introduced around 1992. Just
because you can refer to a link where html is not considered good
netiquette doesn't mean that it isn't good netiquette. Whether or not
to use html in an e-mail, has a certain relevance for the discussion,
but the real issue is still the arbitrary size limitations on
postings. I am fully aware that html adds size to a posting, but then
why not only allow users to post in plain text and include an
explanation of how to do it for new subscribers? It is the size
limitation of postings and the uncertainty of whether your posting
will be too large or not and therefore withheld that is the main issue
for debate here.

Brian