[X-Newbies] DiskWarrior recovery help.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 08:10:08 PST 2006

Hi Steve,
On 11/21/06, Steven Rogers <srogers1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2006, at 9:02 AM, Brian Durant wrote:
>
> > OK, the latest on this issue is that I have changed my /etc/fstab to
> > the following and now mounting with 'sudo mount -a' seems to work:
> >
> > /dev/sdb3    /mnt/osx    hfsplus    exec,auto,users,rw 0 0
> > /dev/sdc12    /mnt/osx2    hfsplus    exec,auto,users,rw 0 0
> >
> > I still can't copy files from /dev/sda or /dev/sdd1 to /mnt/osx2 I
> > think for some reason /mnt/osx2 is still "read-only".
>
> I'm down to guesses at this point. It seems like it should work, and
> it would be a clever way to get to the old files if it did, but I
> think you might be better off doing something more cumbersome but
> more conventional - dedicate a new drive to the system to replace the
> suspect one, set up a new OS X system, and then recover your files
> off the old suspect drive under OS X.

This is where we lose some of the context from earlier postings. At
this point, I am just trying to recover my files on the "suspect"
drive, before I try to let DiskWarrior loose on the suspect drive. I
am just trying to save a backup copy of my files on a "non-suspect"
Firewire drive at /mnt/osx2. The problem being that /mnt/osx2 seems to
only want to be in a "read-only state when mounted under Xubuntu.

The files on the suspect drive can't be recovered under OS X until I
run DiskWarrior. The problem being that I risk losing at least some of
the files when DiskWarrior recovers the directory b-tree catalog.

Cheers,

Brian